Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sizzlin' Summer Shabbats


The recent rise in the mercury has made me think about the summer. It's approaching fast and furious. One of things I love about summer is the relaxed schedule and long days. Unfortunately, this usually means hot and sticky days as well. The rhythm of Shabbat is a little different too. Most local congregations still hold services, some maybe at earlier times or in a different venue like a chapel or library versus in the sanctuary. Sometimes the service is lead by a congregant or the Cantor (many Rabbis take time off in the summer). I like this change. It helps me and my kids remember that you can pray anywhere and with anyone. Our home Shabbat rituals vary a little too. Summer afternoons are often spent in the pool to cool off and then seem to seamlessly flow in to dinner time. In the summer on Fridays I bring the candlesticks out to the patio and the challah is put next to the barbecue Shabbat chicken. I have even gone as far as freezing the grape juice in small paper cups with a stick and having "Shabbat grape juice pops" for our outdoor summer kiddish (blessing over the wine). Summer is also the time that many families go on vacation (hopefully to somewhere a little cooler). You don't have to leave Shabbat behind. Did you know that most cruise ships hold short Shabbat services on Friday evenings? I am not joking. I have been to them. They are lovely and warm. The ships provide challah (usually delicious and 4 feet long), wine, service packets and even a person to lead the service. And most cruises leave on Friday afternoons, so this is a great way to get started on your trip and to meet other people on your cruise. This summer we are putting out a "new" Tzedakah box in which we will collect money over the course of the summer to give to specific cause. There are lots of exciting and new ways to celebrate Shabbat in the heat of the summer, all you have to do is keep your eyes open and being willing to think outside of the "Shabbat Box". Do you have any fun and different Shabbat ideas? Email them to me and I will share them: a.bergman@cjepb.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment