Monday, March 2, 2009

Purim Shmurim!


Thank G-d my daughter's preschool started making their own Purim costumes in class! The days where she and her older sister would stumble down the preschool hallways in long princess costumes and plastic slip-on princess slippers are over! Which leads me to whole other Purim debate I always have with the girls (ages 5 and 7 now)---not everyone needs to dress like Queen Esther or King Achashvayrosh on Purim! It's about wearing ANY costume, being someone who you are NOT and hiding your identity behind a mask. But kids at this age usually stick with the crowns and just love making noise with their groggers. It is such a FUN holiday for kids. Every temple expects them to make noise at the megiliah reading service, there's Purim Carnivals galore throughout the community and freshly baked Hamantaschen are even available at every supermarket bakery and even at COSTCO! It's an easy holiday to share with the kids, it's about having a good time. You can go anywhere, there's no tickets for services, you don't have to dress fancy, most Purim services have very little Hebrew---anything goes! We found the Sammy the Spider Celebrates Purim at the Public Library, the perfect book to read to young kids about the holiday. Last year, I even asked Publix for a bag of their uncooked cookie dough, bought a jar of preserves, a bag of chocolate chips and took it home so we could all "bake Hamantaschen" together! The kids didn't care, they thought it was awesome! So I say, don't skip over this holiday and wait for your family seder, celebrate PURIM together and get LOUD!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great ideas, Amy! I honestly had no idea that the kids could wear ANY costume for Purim and I LOVE your idea about getting the dough, etc. from Publix to bake Hamantaschen. Joshua will enjoy doing that with me, as he loves to help bake brownies, etc. My boys are 1yr and 3yrs and I'm trying to learn how to have a fun, traditional Jewish household. Thanks for posting this great blog.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I love your idea about getting dough at Publix! My kids 3 and 6yrs totally love this holiday. I have to disagree with you about wearing different costumes on Purim for two reasons.
    1)This story is about these characters specifically and it is these characters with whick I want my children to connect-the bold vision of Mordechai, the bravery of Esther, the evil of Haman, and the silliness of Achashevros. Dressing up as these characters connects them directly with their Jewish heritage and this Jewish story.
    2)Dressing up as the Megillah characters, also connects them with Israeli children and Jewish children around the world because they are also dressed up in these costumes.
    I totally agree with you, though, that Purim is one family holiday not to be missed-so have Happy Purim.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra-Thank you so much for your comments. I have to say is that this is what I love about our faith....everyone can interpret concepts, express themselves and celebrate the holidays in the ways that are most meaningful to them! Thank you for sharign your point of view, keep the ideas coming, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids plan their costumes all year long. I think it's also about creativity and allowing children to express themselves in a fun way. On Purim they can be anybody that they want to be. Last year my son was Davy Crocket. We researched information about him and got pictures online. We then created the costume using materials that we fiund around the house. It was a learning experience and fun as well!
    Tzippy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, your ideas are real and easy, you take the worry out of making the holiday fun and special. I just worry I am not doing everything right. I end up googling for hours and then i am still lost and dazed. Thank you for being a voice of reason, calm and seriously organized, knowing your tips and hints are just a click away, i feel rest assured that we will have a great time! Thanks!! JL

    ReplyDelete